Wednesday, June 23, 2010

what's in a name??

Many of us wonder, "what's in a name?".. but, ask this question to a person having been blessed with a loooonnnng name... And a equally tough spelling.
I always have preferred that my name be spelt right. So, the moment i realize that my name is being written, i've chosen to spell it to them.
There are incidents such as when i was 10 years old or something;
Principal: " What's your name?"
me: huh..
Dad: "Abinandana"
Principal:"ABHINANDAN" Cute boy...!"
Dad: "oh no.. girl abinandana.."
(Me staring in at him.."crazy bugger cant see the frock??" Jus a boy cut and a name turns you into a boy..!!!" Oh boy..)
In school, i had the unfortune of having two classmates and of all boys with "abhi" as their names in shorter version, now, there is this cricket match being played in the ground and "abhi" is being called upon.. though its not me, but, I'm told that I was summoned to the ground.
I go running to find out that not abinandana bt, abhishek was needed.. hahaha... Tragedy..
During college days.. to avoid the trouble of being called by my full name i kept it to "abi" again; people felt the need to correct me by spelling it as "abhi" not "abi".
when i insist, they ask me how come so???
Now, its been so for 20 odd years and it will continue to be so...
Thanks, to some people who managed to call me "abinandana" completely, before i could run off..
Well, this privilege has been of those who have taught(teachers, professors, lecturers) me all these years..
If thats not all, people sometimes, even chose to call me by my surname which im not accustomed to hear at all being called by...
For all, that I have chosen to write about this is that, there are few other tortured souls like me who have been in a soup due to their long names; compared to others short and crisp one's
well, all the trouble is worth it coz, that's what we have lived with and will continue to be known with..
proud to have such a name...

No comments:

Post a Comment